On 3 March 1869, the Congress directed that the U.S. Army would be reduced from 45 infantry regiments to 25. At the time, the 11th Infantry was still on occupation duty in Richmond, VA. It was ordered to be consolidated with the 34th Infantry (the former 3rd Battalion, 16th Infantry). That regiment was then on occupation duty in Mississippi. Thus, the 11th Infantry, in anticipation of the Congressional directive departed Richmond in late February and traveled west. On 28 March, the regimental headquarters was consolidated with that of the 34th Infantry at Grenada, MS, and was immediately redesignated as Headquarters, 16th Infantry, the designation it has held ever since. Between that date 6 April 1869, the companies of the 11th Infantry were also consolidated with the similarly designated companies of the 34th at various posts in Mississippi.